Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Forbidden Planet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bandit

Bandit

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 11:39 am

A MGM classic from 1956. MGM was always paving new ground in the Sci-Fi genre. In this movie, they did away with rocket ships, and went in a totally new, if not radical direction. Earth has flying saucers and can travel much faster than light! It was powered by nuclear energy.

And the best part, is it predates NASA so no need for technical consultants!

This movie is when they built "Robbie The Robot". After he was built, at a cost of 7% of the films budget, Robbie made appearances in many other movies as well as TV shows, plus made special appearances at conventions. He sold at auction for over 5 million dollars last month.

The cast is also noteworthy. Leslie Nielsen, Richard Anderson, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens, and others.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 1:13 pm

One of my favorites. I remember watching that as a kid on tv during a weekend afternoon "movie matinée" back in the days before cable when my folks only got 3 OTA channels.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Yeah. Back in the early 60's my parents got a floor model B&W Zenith with a 19" screen. It only had 1 speaker. I always thought "Filmed in technicolor" meant the process of turning color into black and white. It wasn't until the mid 70's they got a color TV. Had to watch all my favorites all over again.

But I still had to climb on the roof to fiddle with the antenna. I came home on leave in 1982 and bought them cable as well as a new TV with remotes for both.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Bandit wrote:
I came home on leave in 1982 and bought them cable as well as a new TV with remotes for both.

Well that sounds nice of you. It was the mid 80's before my Dad bought a color tv. At one point before that we had a big old BW console tv with no sound. So we had another small portable tv with no picture sitting on top of it. Had to manually tune them both to watch tv with sound. It was the early 90's before cable was available down my Dads road. Of course that's not surprising since we only had party line phone service available down that road until the late 80's. Still to this day there is no cable internet available at my Dads place. Only options out there are dial up, satellite, or Wireless Internet which my dad gets thanks to the hundred some foot tower he put up.

But enough of that, I'm getting your thread off topic here. Sorry.

Here's a picture of the afore mentioned "Robby The Robot" to bring the conversation back around...

Forbidden Planet 9415131334455800
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am

We had color TV since I was a kid in the 60s. My dad lived in California had a great job with the phone company. He always had to have the best. My wife's dad in the 80s had a black and white TV. I finally talked him into getting a color TV. Took a while though. It was funny he said he would never own a color TV. Then he said he would never own a flat screen. We bought a flat screen and when his old analog TV died he went and got a flat screen when he seen how easily we moved our TV's around.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Forbidden Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forbidden Planet   Forbidden Planet Empty

Back to top Go down

Forbidden Planet
Page 1 of 1