Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Grumpy Old Peeps

Go down 
+5
eber322
Annoyed
justmemyselfandi
nerdatnight
Skycastle
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Well, let them rip. You're grumpy about something, or everything. So do tell...
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Since you started the thread, how 'bout you start the grump list? :D
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am

Skycastle wrote:
Since you started the thread, how 'bout you start the grump list? :D

My friend, I'll hog this thread, and that would be rude.

First up, Technology.

I'm all for technology making life easier. But NOT to the point it makes me dumber/lazier. I hear so many times people say "I couldn't live without (gizmo)" and I'm just floored.

My personal observations, are that in many cases, the technology most people have/use, is actually smarter than they are.

Technology will fail. It isn't a matter of "if", but when. What then?
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Bandit wrote:
Technology will fail. It isn't a matter of "if", but when. What then?
You're right about that. And with teenagers and those in their 20s being totally addicted to hand gadget communications, I can't picture the chaos which will ensue. And I love the internet and I'll hate to be without it.

Ok, my personal grump for today is public surveillance!

Here in Colorado Springs almost every restaurant either has surveillance cameras watching customers or is planning to install them. It's sickening! Why in hell must people be under surveillance as soon as they walk into a restaurant??? It's a sickness which is spreading quickly here.

How's the state of surveillance in your city?
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 am

Skycastle wrote:

How's the state of surveillance in your city?

Sadly lacking. When crimes are committed, it's a matter of "did anybody see anything"? That's because most business owners are either too cheap, or really cannot afford a surveillance system.

Alot of restaurants also "fake it". They have black domes in the ceiling tiles, but they're not actually cameras. Those are only near the register.
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 am

Deleted.

Last edited by nerdatnight on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
justmemyselfandi

justmemyselfandi

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Technology does not change the personalities of those who use it. It just makes it easier for people who are inclined to act badly, do so more easily and quickly.

The one thing that has suffered from the advancements is the learned trait of the dealing with others. Our youth has lost much of the opportunities we had as youths to see others as just as human as they are.
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 am

Deleted.

Last edited by nerdatnight on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Deleted.

Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 am

On a personal level: Everything aches. Really, between the injuries I've had over the years and the general effects of aging, I can't recall the last time I was ache & pain free.

In general: The incredible level of stupidity our society (The United States) is displaying with our chosen courses of action in this country. We are on a clear path to the destruction of what used to be the greatest nation in human history. The U.S. rose to the unquestioned top of the heap in a scant 200 years through the diligent efforts and sacrifice of our forefathers, and in the space of a couple of generations, we've become determined to destroy that.
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 am

Deleted.

Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm grumpy about living in a nation which is killing itself, but I can't stop it. We watch America die more each year, and it's because of ignorance, stupidity, and hatred of our Constitutional form of government, which leads to Obamunism and the re-election of that ignorant, anti-American twit.
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 am

Deleted.

Last edited by nerdatnight on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am

Deleted.

Last edited by nerdatnight on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm

A single "One word post" thread on a board is plenty. One in every single sub forum (over 100) is asinine!

One of these days, I'm gonna spend a week spamming the crap out of those threads.

Have I said how much I hate sockpuppets lately?
Back to top Go down
nerdatnight

nerdatnight

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Deleted.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 pm

nerdatnight, why are you deleting all your posts?
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

eber322 wrote:
nerdatnight, why are you deleting all your posts?

Certainly upset about something.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:57 am

Military Retirees and serious injuries.

We always hear of the recently retired having serious injuries within 5 years. I never put any faith in it, yet it happened to me back in 2007. Just 2 years into retirement and I had a free fall accident that shattered my right heel. I was given the choice of amputation, or they could try a new procedure. Due to the complexity of the procedure, if it didn't work, then it was amputation by default.

Well it started giving me problems, so I finally broke down and went to the Doc. The gist of it, was I'm stressing the plates holding my heel to my foot and my foot to my leg by running. The implants mimic range of motion, but cannot take high impact exercise.

For me, that's just short of the "kiss of death". Exercise has always been a part of my life, and that means cardio. I work in my office, which is in a complex. I'm not in the military anymore, so there just isn't anything I do that's "physical" other than exercise.

People my age and my size that don't exercise do two things and in a very short time. They get fat, then die.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:28 am

With a 3-1 lead in the quarter finals, the Wings blow it. Not really upset, just disappointed. When you're at the top, the only place there is to go, is down.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 am

I knew it wouldn't be long. The government is going to pass legislation governing UAV's/drones.

If you didn't already know this, a brief history into what is now loosely called a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle). Totally unclassified by the way.

We (Army Special Operations) got the wild idea of using civilian RC planes with a mounted camera as a recon craft. As we were in Asia at the time (mid 80's) They were easy to get and cheap (we were paying out of pocket at first). Our main problem was the plane couldn't take off unassisted. It was too heavy. So we figured out if we launched it into the wind off a steep embankment (cliff) it could fly, maneuver and land just fine. Mind you, we never shot at the thing. We spent enough money just crashing, trying to prove the idea could work.

During Desert Storm, I was with the 82d Airborne. To assist us with Recon, Spec Ops shows up with...yup, a more hi-tech UAV. Better camera, more range, but still can't take off unassisted. And it still looked like a kids RC toy plane. Heck, everybody wanted one. They were just that good.

After the war, the Air Force announced their multi-billion dollar "drone" program. Yeah, can't have the Army messing around with something that flies and is actually useful.

Anyway, you likely know the rest of the history. So what's the gripe?

Legislation. Seriously, nobody needed a license, special permission, and we certainly didn't invent anything. It was a TOY!

Well now the government wants the FCC, FAA and a half dozen other agencies to step in and regulate this stuff.

For well over 20 years now, people have been slapping cameras, microphones, and who knows what else, onto a kids toy. Most especially the government.

I was watching the Military channel the other day, and saw the latest "inventions" in the remote control world. If you think it's amazing what little Johnny could make with his ERECTOR set back in friggin 1913, wait until you see what an adult can do with it 100 years later! Yeah, we need to regulate that. Better keep an eye on Lincoln Logs too.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey my brother in law was with the 82nd during Dessert Storm.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 am

I was attached to the Gold Falcons (4th Battalion 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment) for Desert Shield/Storm.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 am

Here are some rather interesting observations from the right and the left.

Let's see how many more comment using the THE LEFT WING[nut] INTERNET ARGUING CHECKLIST

1. Skim until Offended
2. Disqualify that Opinion
3. Attack, Attack, Attack
4. Disregard Inconvenient facts
5. Make S{tuff} Up
6. Resort to Moral Equivalency
7. Concern Trolling
8. When all else fails, Racism!

Using this we will be able to identify those that are in what is decidedly a group whose sole purpose is to attempt to discredit Ms. Devore and her legitimate challenge.

Maybe put the associated checklist number(s) under the comment. Could be fun. And to be sure that anyone putting a number under my comment definitely outs themselves as a liberal. It's expected. Liberals ARE so very predictable.

Oh yeah. I got my own list for right wing conservative idiots as well!!!!
Right Wing(idiot) checklist
1. Deny that there is still inequality in our country that is along socio-economic lines
2. Spread lies and misinformation
3. Cherry pick facts to support their argument, ignoring those that debunk it
4. Claim there is a regime in place that infringing on their rights
5. Believe that they are standing up for the "will of the people" when they are obviously just a vocal minority
6. Quote other conservative nutjobs because they don't have the brain to articulate their own opinions and the simply believe what they hear. Also posit something as fact, when it is simply another crazy person's opinion.
7. Try to apply "reverse racism"
8. If all else fails insult people by calling them "whiners", "irrational", "stupid", or "uneducated"

If I had a Facebook account, I'd totally invite those two here.

Last edited by Bandit on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Bandit wrote:

1. Deny that there is still inequality in our country that is along socio-economic lines
The only inequality in our country is manufactured inequality, like Affirmative Action hiring quotas, "hate crime" laws that provide special protections to protected minority groups above and beyond the laws that protect everybody, easier physical tests requirements for women (on things like military, police, firemen), etc.

Bandit wrote:

7. Try to apply "reverse racism"
There is no such thing as "reverse racism", there is only racism. The term itself (which implies that normally only whites are racist so anything racist against whites is "reverse racism), is incredibly racist. It's complete nonsense and offensive. As far as racism goes, whether or not it's called reverse, racism seems to be firmly a liberal ideology. And actually I could say the same for number 8 as well, name calling is almost exclusively a leftest tactic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grumpy Old Peeps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grumpy Old Peeps   Grumpy Old Peeps Empty

Back to top Go down

Grumpy Old Peeps
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sci Fi Forums :: Basement :: General Discussion.-
Jump to: